Monday, July 14, 2008

Godly Women From the Past (Susanna Wesley part 2)


Quotes From Susanna Wesley


Lessons to to be learn
When she told her daughter not to do something, her daughter did not listen. It was late and she and her mother were sitting beside a dead fire. Her mother said to her: "Pick up that bit of coal." "I don't want to," said the girl. "Go on," said her mother. "The fire is out, it won't burn you." "I know that," said the girl. "I know it won't burn me but it will blacken my hands." "Exactly," said Susannah Wesley. "That thing which you wish to do won't burn, but it will blacken. Leave it alone."

Susanna defintion of sin:


"whatever weakens your reason, impairs the tenderness of your conscience, obscures your sense of God, or takes off your relish of spiritual things; in short, whatever increases the strength and authority of your body over your mind, that thing is sin to you, however innocent it may be in itself."


"Help me, Lord, to remember that religion is not to be confined to the church... nor exercised only in prayer and meditation, but that every where I am in Thy Presence"


Susanna Wesley before she died :
"On the date of 30th July 1742, on her death bed. One of her daughters Anne, recorded in a letter to Charles that her mother said, My dear Saviour, are you come to help me in my extremity at last. Anne continues, We stood round her bed and fulfilled her last request, uttered a little before she lost her speech, 'Children as soon as I am released, sing a psalm of praise to God'.
"There are two things to do about the gospel. Believe it and behave it."

"You, O Lord, have called us to watch and pray. Therefore, whatever may be the sin against which we pray, make us careful to watch against it, and so have reason to expect that our prayers will be answered. In order to perform this duty aright, grant us grace to preserve a sober, equal temper, and sincerity to pray for your assistance. Amen."


5 comments:

Terry said...

It's great to learn from those who have gone before us, isn't it? I bet you are gaining a lot of wisdom through this study.

Asia said...

I totally agree with you Terry, it is so amazing to learn from women in the past who had a heart for God. To learn from thses women it just great. My mind is blown away how these women serve the Lord. They all encourge me.

I will be blogging about the six other women. I can't wait!!!!!

Carmen said...

great info! Inspiring! We can see a bit of ourselves in those who've gone before us.

Baruch ADONAI!!

Meredith Ivy said...

Hi Asia! I really enjoyed reading Susanna Wesley's quotes. I read a book about her once and think it is amazing how she shaped her childrens' lives and sought to be a godly wife and mother. I look forward to reading your other "Godly Women" posts! I think they are an excellent idea!

guitar47 said...

What great insight from times gone by. From a womans point of view of course.
Godly Quotes