Godly Women From The Past (Susanna Wesley part 1)


INTRODUCTING . . . .



Susanna Wesley




Born in January of 1669, was the youngest of 25 children to Rev. Dr. Samuel Annesley, a noted scholar, beloved clergyman, a mentor to young seminarians, renowned and respected preacher, and chaplain.


She met Samuel Wesley and married him at the age of 19 and became Mrs. Wesley. Togther they had 19 children.


Things for Susanna were not always good her house burn down twice and in one of the fires her son could have died but was rescue from the fire.Susanna had loss nine children while they were infants, and when Susanna dead only eight of children were still alive.


Her husband suffer from poor financial ability and he had been jail at least two times. Her husband left her and the children for a year because of a minor dispute.


A Quote to her absent husband:

“I am a woman, but I am also the mistress of a large family. And though the superior charge of the souls contained in it lies upon you, yet in your long absence I cannot but look upon every soul you leave under my charge as a talent committed to me under a trust. I am not a man nor a minister, yet as a mother and a mistress I felt I ought to do more than I had yet done. I resolved to begin with my own children; in which I observe, the following method: I take such a proportion of time as I can spare every night to discourse with each child apart. On Monday I talk with Molly, on Tuesday with Hetty, Wednesday with Nancy, Thursday with Jacky, Friday with Patty, Saturday with Charles.”


Mrs. Wesley was the one who educated her children and her homeschooling was as long as six hours. Susanna was a woman of God that regulated her house and establish order and priorities order to live a useful life. Her family woke up in the wee hours in the morning and for the hours to come the children were assigned to specific activities.


For each day of the week she set a time to spend time with each child of her own. During these hours she would get to them know them as an individual and wanted to teach them about the Lord and make sure they were growing in their faith.


When her husband was away in London, Mrs. Wesley started afternoon service that her and her children would sing pslams, and would either read short seromens from her husband or father.

Even when her children left the home, she wrote them letters of encourgement to follow Jesus Christ.

Susanna Wesley wrote meditations and scriptural commentaries for her own use. She wrote extended commentaries for instance on the Apostles Creed, the Lord's Prayer, the Ten Commandments. Alas many of these were lost in the rectory fire, but many survive."





Note: Later I will post quotes by Susanna

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thank you for posting these articles... I have wanted to study this amazing woman and very happy to repost on my FB page!

Popular posts from this blog

Godly Women From the Past (Gladys Aylward Part 2)

Journal Entry #21 My fear...

Journal Entry #14 - Free me up, from the Fear of Rejection